Sugar busters diet
Based on the notion of "Cut Sugar to Trim Fat", Sugar Busters is a diet meal plan that blames sugar (particularly refined) for our fat woes. This a similar notion to the Glycemic Index (GI) which posits that rapid rises in blood glucose, and the subsequent insulin production, can produce weight gain.
Where Sugar Busters differs is in its interpretation - all refined sugars are forbidden (including corn syrup, molasses, honey, sodas, dextrose, glucose, and maltodextrin) as is beer. Other refined carbohydrates to get the boot include refined flour, white rice, potatoes, corn, and even carrots.
Pros : Sugar busters diet
- Only stone-ground grains, high-fiber vegetables, and some fruits are allowed as carbohydrates
- This is a balanced diet, at around 30% protein, 40% fat, and 30% carbs
- Eliminating or reducing refined sugar is encouraged by many experts, and has many positive implications for health.
>> More on the sugar busters diet & diet tips
Publications : sugar busters diet
Originally a self-publishing phenomenon, this book has gone on to become a best seller. Rather than a specific diet meal plan, this system operates by excluding certain foods - refined sugars, carbohydrates and starches.
The book includes a 14-day eating plan and a variety easy-to-prepare recipes.
>>More on the Sugar busters & low calorie diets
Example recipes : sugar busters dietBacon Cheddar Quiche
- 14 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup (4oz) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 jar (6oz) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 5 eggs
- 1 can (5 oz) evaporated milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
>> More on sugar busters diet & related foods
Verdict : sugar busters diet
A diet plan review indicates that this plan comes in at around 1200 calories per day - at this level anyone will lose weight in the short term. The notion of reducing refined sugar and carbs is a sound one, but you will have to figure out how to apply the principles once your calorie levels return to normal if you are to keep the weight off.